Saturday, May 31, 2014

Post Mortem

I like pretending I mean something to the ghosts
who wreak havoc on my bones
impaling these masochistic butterfly wings
on railroad spikes
between heartbeats and bedsheets
immortalized

I am a walking, talking universe of dead poets
who tattoo their stanzas into my flesh
with ghostly typewriter fingers

I live and breathe their worldly disasters
like a nicotine addiction I've always had

Drowning in their scribbles
I kiss their shoreline romances
envy their Annabel Lee's
and carry their hearts in mine

I am 7am coffee on Sunday mornings:
a half drunk, hung-over limerick
waiting to happen

I am jealousy:
nothing more than weak words,
and a tongue-tied cliche-

I am death:
Anathema,
A wanderer
The swiming liquid fire through the ashes
of a dead phoenix veins. 

I am Post Mortem.